15 Aug Top 100+ Funny Horse Names (Picked By An Equestrian)
Funny Horse Name Ideas
Humor is a quality that almost all humans appreciate. It combats stress, breaks the ice when meeting someone new, and helps to build relationships. One great way to express your own unique sense of humor is through the naming of your horse.
What are the funniest horse names? Horse names I find funny are often based on human names, food, and other animals. You usually don’t meet horses named “Carl” or “Barbara,” and that’s why it’s funny. Horses named “Porkchop” and “Baby Hippo” also can’t help but put a smile on your face.
Everyone has their own sense of humor; you may slap your knee over a good pun, or you may prefer dry irony. Regardless of what you find funny, you will be sure to find more than a few names that make you chuckle out of my following 100+ funny horse names.
Funny Horse Names Based On Human Names
One aspect I always find amusing is when a horse has a very human name, like “Carl” or “Denise.” For some reason, it seems like these names give the horse more of a personality you can relate to. Here are some human names that I think would be hilarious on horses!
Funny Horse Names Based On Looks
Some of the best name inspiration can come from a horse’s appearance, whether that be the coat, the size, or the build of the horse. This doesn’t mean your horse has to be funny-looking; rather, you’re just playing off their appearance. Here are my most memorable:
- Big Bertha: this name would only be fitting for a BIG horse.
- Crazy Eye: this name would be fitting of horses that have visible white sclera that tends to give them the “crazy-eyed” look. This is most common in Appaloosas and certain Warmbloods.
- Giant Peach: this name would be great for a draft horse or a Quarter Horse that has the signature peach butt.
- Jigsaw: a catchy name for a paint horse.
- Mohawk: for those horses whose manes stick straight up, would go well with a Norwegian Fjord.
- Napolean: for the small horse that has a larger-than-life personality (and don’t they all?)
- Prissy: A good name for ponies that trot real fast and look like they’re wearing high heels. This was my pony Bella’s name before we purchased her and changed it!
- Pipsqueak: while this would be great for a small pony, I think it would be a better name for a giant draft horse!
- Wild Child: Do you have a horse that tends to be rambunctious or one that always looks a little unkempt? This name may suit them.
Funny Horse Names Based on Food
You can never go wrong naming any animal after an item of food. Food-based names also lend themselves to even better nicknames. It’s funny to say this, but your horse may even remind you of a certain food. If your horse is on the spicier side, you may name them “Taco.” If your horse is stocky and tough, you may name them “Porkchop.” The wilder the food you can come up with, the more memorable the name!
- Green Bean
Funny Horse Names Based On Other Animals
Just like a horse named after food is funny, so is a horse named after a different kind of animal. These names can be used to draw out certain characteristics your horse has that remind you of another animal…or you can choose one of these names just to be funny!
- Baby Hippo: I met a black Gypsy Vanner named this; I consider it one of the cutest names I’ve ever heard!
- Baluga: this name would be good for a grey Percheron or Connemara.
- Bumble Bee
- Crocodile: I could see a Thoroughbred or Arabian pulling this off.
- Leopard: Knabstruppers or Appaloosas would fit this name perfectly.
- Puppy: we all know those horses that behave like puppy dogs!
Funny Pop Culture Horse Names
Of course, celebrities are not the only inspiration you can use from the big screen – you can find great names in movies, books, and even social media. Here is a hilarious list of names inspired by everything from pop songs to sitcoms.
- Barbie: we all know a mare like Barbie!
- Cartman:…and we all know a gelding that behaves like Cartman.
- Ruby Tuesday
Funny Horse Show Names
If your horse is your competition partner, there is additional inspiration for a funny name. These humorous names are sure to spark a laugh, especially when they are mentioned by the announcers. Whether you have a “Jumping Jack” or a lighting-fast barrel racer, one or more of these names may be a great fit.
- Best Dressed: I see this being used in the hunter ring or in the pleasure division.
- (Horse’s Name)’s Coat of Many Colors: this is a great name for an Appaloosa!
- Do You Want to Build a Snowman?
- Eat My Dust: especially fitting for a fast horse, as we all know just how dusty things can get in the arena
- Forrest Jump
- Go Go Gadget
- I Digress
- Jumping Jack
- Jack of All Trades
- Jumping the Gun: this name would fit both a jumper and a racehorse
- My Wild Ride
- Olympic: for the horse that has his eyes on a medal
- Pegasus: for the horse that is so fast, he’s “flying,” or for the horse that soars over the jumps.
- Too Hot to Trot
- Who Let the Dogs Out?
- Yours Truly
Choosing The Right Name for Your Horse
Are you stressing out about finding the perfect name for your horse? Your horse is going to live a long time, and you can afford to take your time in finding a name that suits them. Your horse certainly won’t notice if you give them a name right away or if you wait a little while…horses are forgiving like that.
Taking your time will also allow you to really get to know your horse’s personality; you may not have known you were getting a “Pasture Princess” when you adopted her, but time tends to reveal these things. And really, don’t feel pressured – your horse will end up growing into whatever (hopefully hilarious) name you do give them!
Looking for more name ideas for your horse? Check out these articles:
- 175 Best Horse Names Ever
- 100+ Horse Names For Gelding & Stallions (With Meanings)
- 200+ Show Names for Your Horse
I’m a lifelong horse trainer and horseback rider who’s passionate about teaching others about the things I’ve learned. I grew up competing in numerous English horseback riding disciplines and am now a certified equine massage therapist. I currently own three horses.